Cloverdale-Idlewild Association (CIA)

A Historic Montgomery Neighborhood

NEIGHBORHOOD HISTORY
 
The Cloverdale-Idlewild area encompasses Fairview Avenue and Norman Bridge to Woodley Terrace and Edgemont/Glen Grattan.  The middle class neighborhood consists of primarily Bungalow and Cottage style architecture, but also features a high concentration of the Tudor Revival style with high pitched roofs only seen elsewhere in Montgomery in Old Cloverdale.  Several example houses are featured in our Gallery of Homes section.
 
The Cloverdale-Idlewild neighborhood was once a section of the large land patent purchased by Asa Jackson Carter in 1843.  Later, Peter Blackwell Mastin, Sr. purchased the original 160 acres that encompass the neighborhood from Carter in 1851. After Mastin Sr. passed away in 1865, the land was divided among his children.  In 1922, the Mastin family sold a 40-acre plot along today's Mastin Lane to Dr. Thomas Brannon Hubbard for the sum of $15,000.  Other plots of the Mastin homestead were also sold off during this period.  John Haardt purchased the area called South Cloverdale Heights, which encompassed Wellington Road and parts of Lexington Road.
 
The Hubbards placed restrictions on the land they owned that was being developed.  Real estate could only be used for residential purposes.  No structures could be built within in forty feet of Mastin Lane and the still-existing Mastin Homeplace. In addition, none of the cedar, mock orange, sugar berry or other trees could be cut down without the Mastins' approval.  All structures had to face the street and had to be above $5,000 in value. Additional structures, such as garages or guest quarters had to be built behind the main house.
Click for ARB Information